RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT TECHNICAL CONSULTANT
Contract: Full time, permanent
Start date: Negotiable
Location: London or Glasgow
Leyton is the UK’s leading innovation consultancy. Our aim is to maximise the innovation potential of our clients and improve their financial performance. Leyton UK is part of an established international network offering single country or multi-national solutions.
In the UK our specific expertise is in the optimisation of Research and Development (R&D) Tax Relief and Credits, R&D grants, Patent Box and HR and Employment law services.
FUNCTION OF THE ROLE:
Our clients work in a wide range of industries; from scientists developing new medical technology to architects working on ground-breaking construction projects. Working within a team of science, IT, and engineering consultants, you will be working on cutting-edge research projects and given full responsibility of building your own relationships with senior and decision making clients.
The primary focus of the role will be to provide technical advice to UK companies by investigating their latest R&D projects to identify where qualifying work is taking place. You will be working with existing and new clients who invest in R&D, to extend and expand their businesses. You will provide clients with advice from both a tax and science/engineering perspective. You must be analytical and able to work within strict deadlines.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE INCLUDE:
- Working primarily in the preparation and review of science/engineering related R&D tax claims covering various industries ranging from (but not limited to) Financial Services, Pharmaceutical, Food, Construction, Chemicals, Heavy Industry and Automotive.
- Generating new cost-saving opportunities for business in relation to their R&D projects.
- Drafting clear technical and financial documents related to R&D activities.
- Working with a variety of high-profile clients and liaising with Managing Directors, Financial Directors, CEOs, CTOs.
- Interacting with HMRC, the tax authority, to defend the claim if necessary.
- Running workshops, addressing seminars, conferences, etc., to express professional views regarding R&D tax reliefs and other sources of R&D funding.
- Staying abreast of developments in industry and identifying new business opportunities.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 2 years’ industrial or academic experience as an Engineer, Scientist or Researcher.
- Degree in Science, Engineering or related discipline (Master’s degree beneficial).
- Working experience in the R&D tax industry (preferable but not mandatory).
- Curiosity, awareness and an interest in science, technology and innovation.
- Excellent communication (both spoken and written) and ability to convey complex ideas as simple concepts.
- Excellent numerical ability and a proven track record of working to tight deadlines.
- Independent thinker and enthusiastic team player.
Standard hours are 9am - 6pm, however you do have the option to do 8.00am - 5.00pm, 8.30am - 5.30pm or 9.30am - 6.30pm (ﬂexibility is required). Travel within the UK may be required.
In addition, Leyton offers excellent benefits following a successful probationary period.