RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT TAX CONSULTANT
Full-time - London or Glasgow
Leyton wishes to recruit a dynamic and ambitious R&D Tax Consultant. The primary focus of the role will be to provide financial advice to UK companies who invest in R&D.
Contract: Full time, permanent
Start date: Negotiable
Location: London or Glasgow
Businesses need help to unleash the potential that is latent within them – too often they don’t have the objectivity to spot new opportunities that will help them evolve and grow.
Leyton helps them do just that. Founded in France in 1997 and now operating all over the world, we find opportunities in our clients’ processes and ways of working with them that others can’t see, then unlock them to create value efficiently.
In the UK, we have over 250 employees and offices in London, Manchester and Glasgow. We advise clients on all aspects of innovation funding, energy consultancy and capital advisory. We also provide employment legal services through our associated business LexLeyton.
Function of the role:
Due to its continued growth and the success of its business, Leyton wishes to recruit a dynamic and ambitious R&D Tax Consultant. The primary focus of the role will be to provide financial advice to UK Companies who invest in R&D. You will be working with existing and new clients to extend and expand their businesses in line with their business costs, helping them to identify if their work is technically qualifying for R&D in conjunction with our engineering/science team/IT team.
Main Responsibilities will include:
- Understanding the requirements for R&D tax relief and applying them in respect to clients’ development activities to ensure the relevant tax legislation and guidelines are met
- Drafting of clear technical and financial documents to justify R&D activities to UK tax authorities
- Determining the appropriate method of data collection through background research into clients and their relevant industries and interviewing key technical and financial leads
- Running workshops, addressing seminars, conferences, etc., to express professional views regarding R&D tax relief and other sources of R&D funding
- Staying abreast of industry developments and legislative changes relevant to R&D tax relief
- Managing client’s R&D claims throughout the project, advising and liaising from both a tax and science/engineering/IT perspective to ensure deadlines and objectives are met
- Updating clients and third parties with updates on the ongoing development of the R&D tax relief scheme
- Providing support to R&D tax relief claims in the event of HMRC enquiries
Desired experience and skills:
- Qualified accounting or tax professional with ATT, ICAS or ICAEW or other equivalent professional bodies
- Substantial experience in UK corporation tax compliance
- Curiosity, awareness and an interest in science, technology and innovation
- An interest in applying seemingly simple concepts to a wide range of industrial sectors
- Outstanding numerical ability and a proven track record of working to tight deadlines
- Experience dealing with HMRC or other tax authorities, either on general corporate tax aspects or on specific R&D related matters is preferable
Standard hours are 9am - 6pm, however you do have the option to do 8.00am - 5.00pm, 8.30am - 5.30pm or 9.30am - 6.30pm (ﬂexibility is required). Travel within the UK may be required.
In addition, Leyton offers excellent benefits following a successful probationary period.